I have been a freelancer for two years now, but recently I met a pretty stubborn client. He assumed that I knew what he needed, so he did not bother giving me detailed instructions about his project. When I asked him to explain further, he got annoyed to the point of canceling the order.
I just felt bad because I hate losing my clients. But it kept me thinking why don’t I share reliable methods to use to give instructions to freelancers when outsourcing jobs to them.
You are using a freelancing site live Fiverr.com, Upwork.com, People per hour.com, Guru or any other genuine site out there to outsource your job.
The freelancing site does not accept exchanges of personal contacts to both parties.
The most used method:
Writing a detailed job description
When creating your job description, you should be as detailed as possible. It gives an easy time to a freelancer who is working on your project to understand and to deliver as per your expectations. Also on the client side, it saves him or her time and energy for telling his or her freelancer to do tons of revisions.
But there are sometimes when the descriptions is not a good choice, especially when the project is complicated. So, how do you go about that?
There are some softwares that you can use so as to achieve your desired results.
It is a software that helps a person to control another person’s computer which is far away from that particular person as if the person is in front of that computer.
How does it work?
Both of the concerned parties are supposed to download the software and install it. When you open it You will see a section that it is written, ‘Control Remote Computer.’
That section will ask you to give your Partner’s I.D, and when you are done, you can connect with the other party on each other person screens.
Use print screen.
It is so easy to print screen images and use paint tool to show a freelancer how to do your job.
How to do it?
Press both Function key (Fn) and print screen key (prt sc) on your keyboard to print screen your active window. Open the paint program to paste your image there. When you are done, explain to your freelancer, how to do your work using arrows and few explanations like I have done on the image above. I have used both PrintScreen and paint to come up with my desired content.
If your print screen is not working, you can download or activate Lightshot (screenshot tool) extension on your Chrome browser and use it. It works magic because it gives you room to select the area you want to print screen and it comes with its editing features, so you don’t have to paste your image on paint so as to edit it. It is a free tool.
You Can use YouTube to screencast a recording of every single detail that you are doing on your computer screen while explaining to your freelancer how you want your job to be done.
How to do it?
- Go to your YouTube channel and click upload icon.
- Click get started, and it will take you to your live streaming page.
- Click events option on the toolbar which is on the left side.
- After you are done, click enable live streaming.
- It will take you to a page that tells you to create live event; you click it. After that, it takes you to a page where you will name your screencast, then click the drop down menu to select private or unlisted because you don’t want your video to go public.
- Click Go Live Now. Google Hangout on Air will open. The new window will ask you to allow your webcam and microphone, bearing in mind you can put them off.
- In the Hangout on Air window, click the screen share icon which is green to select an entire screen or a specific window that you want it to open. Once you are done, click share.
- Finally, click start broadcast. Now, every activity you do within the selected area will get recorded. When you are done, click stop broadcast.
- Head to your YouTube dashboard, and you will find your newly recorded video, ready to watch and to share. Share the link of the video to your freelancer.
I know, there so many reliable methods to use to give instructions to freelancers, I have just mentioned a few. Though, you can share other ways one can use on the comment section below.